By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The Hollywood Ear
  • 🔥 Trending:
  • P. Diddy
  • Kardashians
  • Hollywood
  • Disney
  • Netflix
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Gossip
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Royals
  • More Articles
Reading: Stephen Colbert Makes Surprise Return to TV 1 Day After ‘Late Show’ Series Finale on CBS
The Hollywood EarThe Hollywood Ear
Font ResizerAa
  • Celebrity
  • Gossip
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Royals
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Gossip
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Royals
  • More Articles

Must Read

Spencer Pratt Fires Back Over Whether He’s a Republican or Democrat: ‘I Hate Politicians’

Michelle Keegan’s daughter Palma is a curly-haired princess in adorable family holiday photos

Stephen Colbert Makes Surprise Return to TV 1 Day After ‘Late Show’ Series Finale on CBS

Ken Jennings on the ‘Jeopardy!’ prep trick he swears by and the category that made him sweat

Princess Beatrice’s stepson to attend £60k/year school lined up for Prince George – report

Follow US
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
The Hollywood Ear > News > Stephen Colbert Makes Surprise Return to TV 1 Day After ‘Late Show’ Series Finale on CBS
News

Stephen Colbert Makes Surprise Return to TV 1 Day After ‘Late Show’ Series Finale on CBS

News Room By News Room May 24, 2026
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE
flipboard
Flipboard
Google News

Stephen Colbert made a surprise TV return one day after his CBS finale to host a public access show in Monroe, Michigan.

“It’s been an excruciating 23 hours without being on TV, so I am grateful to be able to be here on Monroe Community Media before they also get acquired by Paramount,” Colbert, 62, joked during his opening monologue of Only in Monroe on Friday, May 22.

The comedian actually has a long history with Only in Monroe, as he previously filled in for hosts Michelle Baumann and Kaye Lani Rafko-Wilson when he was preparing for his Late Show debut in July 2015.

Colbert even dropped an Easter egg into his final Late Show monologue by referencing his 2015 appearance on Only in Monroe, joking that “show business being what it is these days, that’s probably where you’ll see me next.”

Related: Stephen Colbert Feels ‘A Sense of Relief’ About ‘Late Show’ Ending

Stephen Colbert is opening up about his next chapter after CBS canceled his late night show. In a new interview with GQ, which was conducted shortly before The Late Show With Stephen Colbert won big at the 2025 Emmy Awards, Colbert, 61, said he “accepted” the network’s decision to pull the plug on his show. […]

“Since I was last here in Monroe, Michigan, I spent 11 years as the primary host of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on CBS, which came to an end last night,” he explained on Friday’s Only in Monroe episode.

Colbert then quipped, “Viewers outside the greater Monroe area are able to view Monroe Community Media thanks to something known as streaming, which I promised not to learn about while I was on CBS. And evidently CBS also decided not to learn about it.”

Throughout the hour-long episode, Colbert discussed local issues and was joined by celebrity guests, including Jack White as his musical director and actor Jeff Daniels. Eminem and Steve Buscemi filmed cameos that aired during the special Only in Monroe episode.

He also spoke with Byron Allen, whose show Comics Unleashed will replace The Late Show With Stephen Colbert on CBS.

“Byron, have a great show,” he told Allen, 65. “You’re the best, buddy.”

The unusual Only in Monroe episode ended with Colbert, Daniels, 71, and White, 50, burning down the show’s set after receiving approval from “the fire marshal” (a.k.a. Marshall “Eminem” Mathers, 53.)

“That’s a wrap,” Colbert announced. “Thanks for watching Only in Monroe and if you watched any of my other talk shows over the years, thanks for watching those too!”

He then teased, “Until we see each other again, I’ll be only here, only on Only in Monroe!”

CBS announced in July 2025 that it was cancelling The Late Show With Stephen Colbert despite the series’ late night ratings dominance.

“The Late Show with Stephen Colbert will end its historic run in May 2026 at the end of the broadcast season. We consider Stephen Colbert irreplaceable and will retire The Late Show franchise at that time,” a CBS statement read at the time. “We are proud that Stephen called CBS home. He and the broadcast will be remembered in the pantheon of greats that graced late night television.”

CBS insisted that the decision to end The Late Show was a “financial” one and was not “related in any way to the show’s performance, content or other matters happening at Paramount.”

Colbert wrapped up The Late Show with a star-studded final week of episodes featuring guest appearances from Bruce Springsteen, Ryan Reynolds and Paul McCartney, among others. He jabbed at CBS during Thursday’s finale by having his band play expensive licensed music and ending with a CGI-animated scene of the Ed Sullivan Theater being sucked into a glowing green vortex.

Read the full article here

TAGGED:Featured
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Print
Previous Article Ken Jennings on the ‘Jeopardy!’ prep trick he swears by and the category that made him sweat
Next Article Michelle Keegan’s daughter Palma is a curly-haired princess in adorable family holiday photos
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must Read

Spencer Pratt Fires Back Over Whether He’s a Republican or Democrat: ‘I Hate Politicians’

Michelle Keegan’s daughter Palma is a curly-haired princess in adorable family holiday photos

Ken Jennings on the ‘Jeopardy!’ prep trick he swears by and the category that made him sweat

Princess Beatrice’s stepson to attend £60k/year school lined up for Prince George – report

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Cheer on Cleveland Cavaliers Courtside at NBA Eastern Conference Final

Demi Lovato rocks alluring ‘naked’ dress that has fans all saying the same thing

- Advertisement -
Ad image

You Might also Like

Janet Caperna is skeptical about ‘Valley’ co-star Michelle Saniei’s romance with Dr. Dre

Janet Caperna is just as surprised as everyone else when it comes to co-star Michelle…

May 4, 2026 4 Min Read

Elizabeth Smart reveals her take on Nancy Guthrie’s whereabouts

Elizabeth Smart thinks Nancy Guthrie could “absolutely” still be alive. Smart — who was famously…

May 7, 2026 4 Min Read

I’ve mastered the ‘everything shower’ in four quick steps and have never looked (or smelt) better

If there’s one thing that Gen Z excels at, it’s no-expense-spared self care. Multi-step, aesthetic…

April 13, 2026 6 Min Read

‘My 600-lb. life’ star Dolly Martinez dies at age 30

“My 600-Lb. Life” star Dolly Martinez has died at the age of 30. Martinez’s sister,…

April 12, 2026 1 Min Read
1

Nick Cannon Clarifies Daughter Monroe’s Viral Comment About Having ‘1 Brother’

Nick Cannon is clearing the air over daughter Monroe’s viral comments about having “one brother.”…

May 9, 2026 5 Min Read

Sally Field didn’t find Robin Williams funny on ‘Mrs. Doubtfire’

Sally Field candidly admitted that she didn’t find Robin Williams funny when they worked together…

May 7, 2026 4 Min Read
The Hollywood Ear

Hollywood Ear is your one-step website for the latest Hollywood, celbirty and entertainment news and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

Quicklinks

  • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Lifestyle
  • Royals

About US

  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

2024 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.