By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The Hollywood Ear
  • đŸ”„ Trending:
  • P. Diddy
  • Kardashians
  • Hollywood
  • Disney
  • Netflix
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Gossip
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Royals
  • More Articles
Reading: Why Heisman Winner and New Raiders QB Fernando Mendoza Is Skipping White House Visit
The Hollywood EarThe Hollywood Ear
Font ResizerAa
  • Celebrity
  • Gossip
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Royals
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Gossip
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Royals
  • More Articles

Must Read

Drew Carey Slams Spencer Pratt as a ‘Serial Scammer’ Who Doesn’t Have a ‘Soul or Moral Compass’

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce spotted on date night at Knicks game

Shia LaBeouf charged following alleged Mardi Gras incident

Fox News Responds to Viral Claims a Vice Admiral Wore ‘Mission Impossible’-Like Mask During Interview

Laura Clery praises first responders after being crushed by fridge

Follow US
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
The Hollywood Ear > News > Why Heisman Winner and New Raiders QB Fernando Mendoza Is Skipping White House Visit
News

Why Heisman Winner and New Raiders QB Fernando Mendoza Is Skipping White House Visit

News Room By News Room May 3, 2026
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE
flipboard
Flipboard
Google News

Heisman Trophy winner Fernando Mendoza seemingly will not be joining his former Indiana University Hoosiers teammates at an upcoming White House visit.

“I believe May 11th [the day of the Hoosiers’ White House visit] is the first day of OTAs (organized team activities) 
 if it is on the first day of OTAs, like I say, I’m at the bottom of the totem pole here [in Las Vegas], I’ve got to prove myself,” Mendoza, 22, told reporters on Saturday, May 2.

He went on, “I can’t miss practice. Yeah, I can’t miss practice. 
 I’m a rookie. I don’t think that’s a good look. I want to try to serve my teammates and I don’t know whether that would be achieving my goal.”

It was reported earlier this week that the White House scheduled a visit from the Hoosiers for May 11, after the college football team went 16-0 last season and clinched their first College Football Playoff National Championship on January 19.

Since that historic championship win, the Las Vegas Raiders selected Mendoza with the No.1 overall pick in the NFL draft on April 23. The athlete did not attend the draft in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in person, choosing instead to celebrate his career milestone at home with his parents in Miami.

“My ​​mom really wanted to do it at home and so did [both of] my parents,” he told ESPN’s The Rich Eisen Show last month. “It’s a lot easier for us, especially with the family situation.”

Fernando pointed to practical concerns, since his mom, Elsa, was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2007 and now uses a wheelchair.

“We’d have to hop on a plane the next morning anyway,” Mendoza explained on The Rich Eisen Show. “For that travel, it would be a lot easier to stay at home. I wanted to stay and make the memory with everybody who poured into my football journey. Mentors, coaches, family, friends. Being able to share that moment with all of them is going to be the best memory that I can make, rather than limiting it to 10 or 12 people in Pittsburgh.”

The athlete celebrated being drafted by the Raiders with an update on his personal favorite social media platform, LinkedIn.

“It’s official. Grateful for the opportunity and ready to get to work,” he wrote, with the NFL replying: “Welcome to the League!”

Related: Heisman Finalist Fernando Mendoza Reacts to Viral Interview: ‘Too Much?”

Heisman Trophy winner Fernando Mendoza is looking back on going viral with an emotional postgame interview after his Big 10 Championship game victory. “It was just genuine raw emotion,” Mendoza, 22, admitted to People in an interview published on Friday, December 12. “Maybe it was a little too much.” Following his Indiana Hoosiers’ victory over [
]

Fernando won the Heisman Trophy in December 2025, delivering an emotional speech where he dedicated the prestigious accolade to his mother.

“Mami, this is your trophy as much as it is mine,” he told Elsa from the stage. “You’ve always been my biggest fan. You’re my light, you’re my ‘why,’ you’re my biggest supporter.”

The quarterback grew emotional as he went on, “Your sacrifices, courage, love, those have been my first playbook and that playbook that I’m going to carry by my side for my entire life. You taught me that toughness doesn’t need to be loud. It can be quiet and strong. It’s choosing hope. It’s believing in yourself when the world doesn’t give you much reason to. Together, you and I are rewriting what people think is possible. I love you.”

Read the full article here

TAGGED:Featured
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Print
Previous Article Kris and Kendall Jenner lead stars at Jeff Bezos and Lauren SĂĄnchez’s glitzy Met Gala pre-party – best photos
Next Article King Charles’ bearded bodyguard parts ways with monarch after years of service
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must Read

Drew Carey Slams Spencer Pratt as a ‘Serial Scammer’ Who Doesn’t Have a ‘Soul or Moral Compass’

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce spotted on date night at Knicks game

Shia LaBeouf charged following alleged Mardi Gras incident

Fox News Responds to Viral Claims a Vice Admiral Wore ‘Mission Impossible’-Like Mask During Interview

Laura Clery praises first responders after being crushed by fridge

Donald Trump Jr.’s new wife Bettina Anderson flashes wedding rings in heartfelt post

- Advertisement -
Ad image

You Might also Like

Sinead O’Connor’s exact cause of death is FINALLY revealed one year after she died

It's been six months since the Southwark Coroner confirmed Shuhada' Sadaqat aka SinĂ©ad O'Connor tragically…

April 22, 2026 10 Min Read
1

Summer House’s Amanda Batula and West Wilson Cozy Up on NYC Walk Amid Romance Drama: See Pics (Exclusive)

Summer House‘s Amanda Batula and West Wilson cozied up on a New York City outing…

May 22, 2026 5 Min Read

King Charles cheered as he makes surprise appearance

Theatregoers at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon were in for a surprise on Friday…

May 22, 2026 3 Min Read

Princess Beatrice’s husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi celebrates good news after keeping low profile

Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi is celebrating some much-needed good news. Princess Beatrice's husband is a big fan…

May 20, 2026 4 Min Read

Sarah Michelle Gellar, ‘Ready or Not 2’ cast flee massive Paris hotel fire

Sarah Michelle Gellar and her “Ready or Not 2: Here I Come” co-stars were forced…

March 26, 2026 3 Min Read

Dolly Parton, 80, reveals ‘bad’ health update in new video

Dolly Parton is canceling her Las Vegas residency in the wake of her ongoing health issues.…

May 4, 2026 4 Min Read
The Hollywood Ear

Hollywood Ear is your one-step website for the latest Hollywood, celbirty and entertainment news and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

Quicklinks

  • Celebrity
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Lifestyle
  • Royals

About US

  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

2024 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.