Jenna Bush Hager has weighed in on Prince Harry and Meghan Markleâs return to the UK, suggesting the coupleâs decision to move back offers a cautionary lesson after their dramatic departure from royal life six years ago.
Speaking alongside Sheinelle Jones on Today with Jenna & Sheinelle, the 44-year-old television host reflected on the Duke and Duchess of Sussexâs decision to return to Britain for an extended period with their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five.
âItâs a lesson for everybody,â Jenna said. âWhen you leave something and say youâre never going back⊠[donât] light a match.â
Her co-host Sheinelle recalled the very different circumstances surrounding Harry and Meghanâs departure in 2020, joking that their attitude at the time appeared to be: âWeâre out. Hello, US.â
Jenna added: âThey sort of threw whatever at the institutions that exist in the UK.â
âItâs hard to say things like that and then be like, âWellâŠ'â she continued, throwing her hands in the air.
Harry and Meghanâs family reunion
The comments come after HELLO! confirmed that Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, are returning to the UK at the end of August for âan extended period,â with Archie and Lilibet also expected to attend school in Britain.
The move follows the familyâs visit to the UK in July, when the Sussex children reunited with their grandfather King Charles for the first time in four years.
Jenna, who shares three children, Mila, 13, Poppy, 11, and Hal, seven, with husband Henry Hager, reflected on just how significant such a length of time can be in a young childâs life.
âThink about little kidsâ lives, how much changes in four years,â she said. âItâs like, [theyâre] totally different humans.â
The July reunion marked a significant development in Harryâs relationship with his father following years of tension within the royal family.
HELLO! can confirm King Charles was first made aware of the Duke and Duchess of Sussexâs plans on Sunday, and the monarch welcomes the opportunity to see more of Harry and his family in a private and personal capacity.
However, the move is not expected to herald a return to royal duties for Harry and Meghan, who remain non-working members of the royal family.
The Sussexesâ dramatic royal exit
Harry and Meghan stunned the world in January 2020 when they announced their intention to step back as senior working members of the royal family.
The couple subsequently relocated to California, eventually settling in Montecito, where they raised Archie and welcomed daughter Lilibet in June 2021.
Their departure was followed by a series of explosive revelations about their experiences within the monarchy.
In their 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Meghan spoke about her struggles with royal life and claimed there had been âconcerns and conversations about how dark [Archieâs] skin might be when heâs born.â
Buckingham Palace responded at the time with a statement on behalf of Queen Elizabeth II, saying that ârecollections may varyâ while describing the issues raised, particularly those concerning race, as âconcerning.â
Prince William was subsequently asked about the allegations during a royal engagement and responded: âWeâre very much not a racist family.â
Harryâs revelations about Prince William
Relations between Harry and his older brother became even more strained following the publication of the Duke of Sussexâs memoir, Spare, in January 2023.
In the book, Harry detailed a number of intensely personal disagreements with his family, including an alleged physical confrontation with William at Nottingham Cottage in 2019.
The brothersâ relationship has remained fractured in the years since. Despite Harry, Meghan, Archie and Lilibet spending time with Charles during their July visit, there was reportedly no reunion with the Prince and Princess of Wales.
Read the full article here



