Jake Gyllenhaal is feeling nervous about getting back into fighting shape for the sequel to Road House.
The 44-year-old Brokeback Mountain actor got seriously ripped to play an ex-UFC fighter named Dalton in the March 2024 film. While details about the sequel are still scarce, during a March 24 appearance on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, Gyllenhaal said that the prospect of putting on muscle for the movie was “terrifying.”
Colbert joked that Gyllenhaal would have to “eat every chicken that’s left in America,” adding that “there aren’t a lot left” amid the bird flu outbreak.
He proposed “a lot of shrimp” as an alternative source of protein, prompting Gyllenhaal to reply that the idea was “the most unappetizing.”
Gyllenhaal previously spoke candidly about getting in shape for the first movie. He told PEOPLE in March 2024 that it “took a village” to make it happen.
“I knew that I needed help with nutrition and I knew I needed to keep myself safe from injury and I needed to also be able to have the aesthetics of the whole role,” he said, noting that he’d previously taken on a similar role in 2015’s Southpaw. “So balancing all that took a group of people helping me all the time.”
The original Road House premiered in 1989, starring the late Patrick Swayze, who Gyllenhaal collaborated with on 2001’s Donnie Darko.
In March 2024, Gyllenhaal reflected on working with Swayze in a tribute on Instagram.
“He was such a talent and I continue to have so much respect and admiration for what he put out and into the world,” Gyllenhaal wrote. “I’ll never forget his kindness to me when I was starting out— he didn’t have to take the time, but he always did. We’ve made a different RH this time around, but hoping it’s one he would’ve had fun watching!”
Swayze died at the age of 57 in September 2009 after receiving treatment for pancreatic cancer.
Read the full article here